Creating a report from scatch consists of 4 steps:
- Create a report template (desribed here)
- Add fields, tables and text/images to the report template.
- Format the report template.
- Run the report template to create the report.
How to Create a New Report Template
After ReportWeaver is connected to a database or when a repository is open the designer is shown:
click the - new report-icon in the toolbar or
- The data tab shows the report staring points (simply called roots).
- click the - new report-icon in the toolbar to start the new report wizard, which allows you to set various options.
- Create an new standard template connected to this data entry point.You can change the template properties in the report template properties sheet
- Create a report template using the tablewizard .
This will create a default template and add a table to it. You can change the template properties in the report template properties sheet.
- Create a multi doucment report or master detail report template using the masterdetail wizard . This will create a default template and add a table to it.
Each object in the table will become a separate document.
You can change the template properties in the report template properties sheet.
- Create a new view for the data entry point. You can use views to simplify data access for end users, to refine the data model, to generate XML reports or to export data.
- If you have just created this project, it is recommended to save it now.
The Data Entry Point page of the new-report wizard pops up. Here you can select a data entry point. A entry point is either a designated object in the database that has a name an extent
(e.g., a relational table) or it is a user defined entry point. Both kinds of entry point can refer to either a single object or to a collection of objects.
||Click one of the data entry points to select it.
Data Entry Point page
||Click the Next button to name the report template.
||You can also press finish to accept the default name and style. The default name is the date and time of report creation. You can change these later in the
report template properties sheet
||Click the Cancel button to cancel the operation.
Name your report template
While choosing the data ReportWeaver allows you to name the report template with the entry-point-window
The naming page appears.
- The report template is automatically named with the creation date. Overwrite the default name with a more meaningful report template name. The reports will be listed in the Main
Editor Frame, easy accessibility.
- Enter a short description for the new report template (optional).
- Select the template, that you want to clone for your new report. This allows you to create a new templete based on the layout of another template.
- Choose the template type: Standard, List or Multi-Document (Master detail)
- Select the page style, that you want to assign initially.
- Specify a html file wwith detailed report documentation.